It’s noisy in there. We live in sensational headlines every minute, every day. You can work almost full time sorting fun, interesting, or useful memes, feeds, and reels into the trash. It’s hard to know what to focus on and where to channel your energy. With so much noise, chaos, and division, it seems the only thing we all have in common is relying on the internet to help us navigate the world and everything that happens in our lives.
But the internet didn’t work.
I’m not talking about whether you have a Wi-Fi signal or go online to work or school – in the sense that the Internet does its job for most of us, to billions of people around the world. The magic I’m talking about is magic. This extraordinary portal into the human experience has become a place full of misinformation, corruption, and greed. And in recent years we have seen those in power.
Big Technology, governments, and bad actors – become more influential, bolder, and more dangerous. It’s a shame, because there’s still a lot to celebrate and do online. Whether it’s enjoying the absurd – long-lived cat videos – or tackling something truly important, like reversing a global pandemic, we all need an internet where people, not profit, come first.
Let’s take back control from people who violate our privacy, just to sell us stuff we don’t need. Let’s work to stop companies like Facebook and YouTube from contributing to the spread of misinformation and devastating political manipulation. It’s time to take control of what we do and watch online, and don’t let algorithms give us whatever we want.
You may not know the name Mozilla. You must know Firefox. But we’ve been fighting for a better internet for nearly twenty years. We are a supported non-profit organization that exists solely for the purpose of protecting the Internet. Our products, such as the Firefox browser, are designed with your privacy in mind. We are here to prove that you can have an ethical technology business working to make the Internet a better place for all of us. We stand for the people, not for profit.
But we cannot fight this battle alone. Big technology has become big. we need you. We need people who understand what it’s like to be a part of something bigger than ourselves. People who love the internet and appreciate its magic. Those who are looking for a company they can support because we are all on the same side.
We know it takes more than provocative language to make it real. That’s why at the core of this campaign we can all participate in changing the internet for the better. That’s the point: working together to dismantle the internet.
To get started, we give you five concrete, shareable ways to recapture the good things about online life, eliminating the bad:
- Blaming political ads for misinformation: Download a Firefox extension that shares the political ads you see on Facebook into a public database so they can be tracked and monitored.
- Watch Social Dilemmas on Netflix and read our recommended reading from a wide range of voices: This #1 trending documentary opens up on the subject of the attention economy, and our collection expands the discussion by bringing more perspectives into the conversation.
- Get the Facebook Container Extension: Prevent Facebook from following you across the web – which they can do, even if you don’t have an account.
- Flag YouTube Bad Recommendations: This extension lets you report Ricoh who is sorry, so you can help improve the engine for everyone.
- Choose Independent Technology: Learn more about other independent technology companies and their products. Like shopping locally, using a product like Firefox is a great way to choose your conscience online.
We will frequently update the list with new and timely ways for you to take action, so check back regularly and bookmark or save the Unfak Internet landing page.
Now, it’s time to go to work. We need you to talk and have it. Tell your friends, your coworkers and your family. Tell the world that you’ve chosen to “go on the internet” with your values, and invite them to do the same.
It’s time to dismantle the internet. For our children, for society, for the climate. for cats.